Update 7

This week I have finished the second level  which is shorter than the first level. Now I have started to find bugs in the game. Now I am trying to setting up a virtual machine running linux. I have tried debian Jessie 8.2 32bits but codeblocks is not available, and KDevelop crash after creating a project. I have tried to eclipse CDT which is too heavy for my taste. So I have decided to create another VM this time with Ubuntu 15.2 Vivid Vervet 64bits. I have also moved all of my projects into google drive because git is not very useful for one developer.

Update 6

Good news everyone! The first level is finished and I am already working on the next level, this level is short in term of maps so I hope to finish it next week. Here is an unfinished drawing of a forest for the next level.

outside-forest

Update 5

The last week I was polishing the level: create icons for each item, add more texture for the maps. But during the week I became ill so during two days I was not able to make any progress the game. At the end of  the month I hope the first level will be completed so I can advance to the next one. Every level will not have the same number of maps:

Level 1 27
Level 2 11
Level 3 ?? (22 maps for the moment but maybe more).
Level 4 ?? (16 maps for the moment but this level is the biggest
in the game so probably around 40-50 maps).
Level 5 / Ending 8 (smallest level).

But even if a level have a small number of maps the task that take the most of my time is when I animate, so just one map with lot of animated things happening could take more time than 10 maps for example.

I try not to post too many screenshots of the game in order to avoid spoiling the story.

Update 4

This week I have made a tileset for the objects and menus of the game. I think I have finished most of the maps for the first level  and the animations. I have also changed most of the collision for the objects and doors.

 

Update 3

This week I have completed most of the maps for the first level, sometimes a lot of editing in photoshop is required to have a nice result. I have also drawn and colored a lot of objects.

stone carKey puppet

Update 2

Last week, I did a lot of programmings to handle animations in the game. I have created two tools one for the generating the tileset and the XML data of the animation. I had a hard time to make a good algorithm bin packing, so I have decided to not waste time on that and use one that is already implemented:

https://github.com/juj/RectangleBinPack

An example of a sprite packing on 2048×2048 texture.

prison-cell-kitchen-no-door

And the code for one animation:

<a n="anim1">
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="0" ty="1080" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="1920" ty="0" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="51" ty="1080" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="1920" ty="498" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="1971" ty="0" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="102" ty="1080" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="1971" ty="498" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="153" ty="1080" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="204" ty="1080" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="255" ty="1080" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="306" ty="1080" tw="51" th="498"/>
<f f="prison-cell-kitchen-no-door" t="80" x="300" y="300" tx="357" ty="1080" tw="51" th="498"/>
</a>

Once the animation is generated I need to edit the position and the timing of each frame, so I needed to create  a tool to simulate and edit the animation.

Update 1

This first week I’m figuring things out for the art and also I am trying to find a way to add shadows and light for some maps with SketchUp maybe I will try with Blender or Maya to have more control. I am trying to texture maps without having too much photorealism.

I am also drawing objects for the game and try to make it look hand drawn I think it will make more tries to have something nice.

prison-door-closed prison-chair-tex book

Beginning of a new life

Starting today I work full time on this game, I have already developed a prototype and written a small script for the dialogs. Most of the  programming for the engine but there are still some bugs with the loading of multiple images. The real challenge now is to make the art for the game: sprites, backgrounds, animations and redo the dialogs to make things interesting.

Here are some screenshots of the current build (prototype), most images are taken from picture, and backgrounds are made with SketchUp,  As you can see there are a lot of things to do to improve the art (objects and backgrounds).

2015-08-24_133615 2015-08-15_013808 2015-08-15_013747